Principal faints after students shout at himJanuary 12th, 2012 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 11 (IANS) Harassment of principals and teachers continued in West Bengal, with the principal of a government college in Birbhum fainting Wednesday during a demonstration by the students of the college.
However, a minister questioned the credibility of the principal and claimed he had “staged” the whole incident.
The students involved were reportedly affiliated to the ruling Trinamool Congress’s youth wing, the Trinamool Chatra Parishad.
“Students belonging to a particular student union came barged into principal’s (Sibashish Banerjee) office for the remarks he made against the violence that was perpetuated in the college premises Tuesday. They surrounded him and were aggressively shouting at him. The student demonstrated for more than an hour after which he fainted,” said Jaydeb Pan, a professor of the college.
Banerjee Tuesday had told reporters that he had received threats from supporters of the Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad for his remarks.
State Urban Development Minister and senior Trinamool Congress leader Firhad Hakim, however, said that the principal of the college was “biased” and may have even “staged” the whole incident.
“There are complaints of financial irregularities against the principal. A probe to look into the financial authorities will soon be ordered by the education department. The principal must be above politics,” he said.
The principal expressed surprise at the minister’s response.
“I am astonished how such comments can be made after such kind of incidents,” said Banerjee who has been hospitalized after the incident.
In last two week there have been various incidents of students affiliated to either Trinamool Congress or the Communist Party of India-Marxist assaulting principal and teachers of various educational institutions across the state.
The Mamata Banerjee government has drawn severe criticism from all quarters of the society after it took a dual approach in dealing with accused in these incidents according to their political affiliations.
- Pranab cautions Mamata government on teacher assaults - Jan 22, 2012
- College principals are political recruits: Mamata - Jan 17, 2012
- Trinamool members, others held for assault on principal (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- 13 Trinamool students held for assault on principal - Jan 06, 2012
- Can poll panel monitor West Bengal college elections? - Mar 14, 2012
- Buddhadeb lashes out at Mamata for campus violence - Jan 13, 2012
- Low key birthday as Mamata turns 57 - Jan 05, 2012
- Mahasweta Devi condemns assaults on principals - Jan 12, 2012
- Students caught cheating injure two Bengal teachers - Jul 06, 2012
- Take strong action against rowdy students: Bengal governor - Jan 11, 2012
- Trinamool warns against mixing politics with profession - Apr 27, 2012
- Campus violence should stop: Buddhadeb - Dec 19, 2010
- Congress free to leave ministry: Trinamool - Jun 16, 2012
- 10 hurt in Kolkata student unions clash, traffic hit - Dec 16, 2010
- Is campus violence making a comeback in Bengal? - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, credibility, development minister, dual approach, education department, educational institutions, faints, financial authorities, financial irregularities, government college, hakim, harassment, mamata banerjee, premises, principals, quarters, urban development, west bengal