Prices to come down in six months: PMMay 11th, 2009 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, May 11 (IANS) Prices of consumer goods will fall in the next six months, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday.
Speaking to reporters, he also said that despite the global economic slowdown, India’s economy grew at 6.5 percent in 2008-9.
“I am sure CPI (consumer price index) inflation will moderate in five to six months,” Manmohan Singh said.
“The wholesale price index is already down to around 1 percent and there is a time lag for the consumer price inflation to also fall.”
The consumer price index reflects the average price of consumer goods and services for households.
According to him, several countries had gone into recession and posting negative growth due to the global economic difficulties.
“Even then India grew at 6.5 percent in the face of adverse circumstances,” the prime minister said. “This growth rate is the second highest in the world.”
On Thursday, India’s annual rate of inflation inched up to 0.7 percent for the week ended April 25 from 0.57 the previous week.
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Consumer price inflation rises to 9.47 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- Inflation will come down to 6-7 percent by March: Mukherjee - Feb 01, 2012
- Inflation down to 7 percent by March 2012: Rangarajan - Oct 20, 2011
- Sluggish growth, inflation mar UPA-2 party - May 22, 2012
- Inflation declines marginally, RBI rate cut seen (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
- Inflation falls to 6.89 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- Inflation will remain at same level: Pranab - Apr 17, 2012
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent, food prices surge - Jun 14, 2012
- Inflation eases, but food prices surge - Jul 16, 2012
- Indian economy hit by high inflation, slowing growth (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- China's inflation eases to 29-month low (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Rate hike will bring down inflation to 6 percent: Pranab - Jul 26, 2011
- Retail inflation surges to 10.36 percent in April - May 18, 2012
- Sensex surges 434 points on rate cut and policy push hopes (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: annual rate of inflation, circumstances, consumer goods, consumer price index, consumer price inflation, CPI, economic difficulties, global economic slowdown, households, ludhiana, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rate of inflation, recession, six months, time lag, wholesale, wholesale price index