Previous attacks on leaders (To go with: ‘Ink attack stuns Ramdev, attacker faces mob fury’)January 14th, 2012 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) Yoga guru Baba Ramdev got added to the list of leaders attacked in public when a man threw ink at him during a press conference in the capital Saturday. Here is a list of leaders who have been victims of such attacks:
Manmohan Singh: A youth threw a shoe at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh while he was addressing an election rally in Ahmedabad in April 2009. The shoe landed a few metres away from him.
P. Chidambram: A shoe was chucked at the home minister in April 2009 by a journalist Jarnail Singh. The reporter was upset with the Central Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) clean chit to Congress leader Jagdish Tytler in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Chandrababu Naidu: A pro-Telangana activist threw a shoe at Naidu in January this year during his speech in Andhra Pradesh’s Warangal district.
Sharad Pawar: The agriculture minister was slapped by a man named Harvinder Singh in November last year at a function in the national capital. The man was reportedly upset with corruption.
Prashant Bhushan: The Team Anna member was assaulted by a man in his Supreme Court chamber in Delhi in October last year.
Arvind Kejriwal: A man named Jitendra Pathak hurled a shoe at the Team Anna member at a rally in Lucknow in October last year, but it missed.
Sukh Ram: The former telecom minister was slapped and kicked by Harvinder Singh in Delhi in November last year, minutes after he was convicted in a 1996 corruption case.
B.S. Yeddyurappa: A chappal was hurled at the then Karnataka chief minister at a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) election rally in Hassan district in April 2009. The man, a vagabond named Chandrashekar, appeared to be drunk at the time.
L.K. Advani: BJP worker Pawas Agrawal hurled a slipper at the party veteran in April 2009 in Katni district of Madhya Pradesh. The slipper missed Advani.
Suresh Kalmadi: A man named Kapil Thakur hurled a slipper at Kalmadi in April 2011. He was upset with Kalmadi’s role in the Commonwealth Games scam.
- Shoes thrown at others, Pawar first to be assaulted (Timeline) - Nov 24, 2011
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Shoe attacks started with George Bush - Jun 06, 2011
- Shoe-chucking turning into a popular protest form (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Shoe hurling reflects public anger, says BJP - Apr 26, 2011
- Slipper attack on Kalmadi latest in similar assaults - Apr 26, 2011
- Now, Karnataka CM Yeddyurappa experiences 'shoe-gate' - Apr 28, 2009
- Pawar slapped, attacker says 'they're all thieves' (Intro Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- Now, slipper thrown at Karnataka chief minister - Apr 28, 2009
- Now slipper thrown at Advani - Apr 16, 2009
- Footwear flung at Advani at public meet (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Advocate who threw slipper at Kalmadi garlanded like hero - Apr 28, 2011
- Advani becomes new 'slipper' gate target - Apr 16, 2009
- Kalmadi sent to eight days in police custody (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- Kalmadi attacker was 'furious at corrupt practices' (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: anti sikh riots, bharatiya janata party, central bureau of investigation, chappal, clean chit, congress leader, corruption case, election rally, hassan district, ink attack, jagdish tytler, karnataka chief minister, l k advani, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sharad pawar, supreme court chamber, warangal district, yoga guru