‘Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners’ demands’May 8th, 2012 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, May 8 (IANS) The Palestinian National Authority (PNA) and the Islamic Hamas movement Tuesday called on the European Union (EU) to press Israel to meet the demands of the hunger striking prisoners.
Palestinian Foreign Affairs Minister Riad al Maliki welcomed the call by the EU’s missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah on Israel to provide medical care for the hunger strikers and improve the conditions of imprisonment, reported Xinhua.
Al Maliki said the EU members should “demonstrate these calls into actions on the ground by putting more pressure on Israel.” He warned that “time was not on the side of anybody and that the death of any inmate would affect stability in the region.”
Meanwhile, Gaza ruler Hamas said that the EU’s call to Israel was “insufficient,” and said that Europe should take “practical steps to save the prisoners.”
Two of the Palestinians in Israeli jails have been fasting for 72 days to protest their administrative detention, a tactic that allows Israel to hold them without a charge.
On April 17, at least 1,500 detainees started a hunger strike to protest against their prison conditions and demand improvements. The strike, started individually by dozens of inmates days and weeks earlier, is the biggest collective protest in Israeli jails.
Israel holds 4,700 Palestinians, 320 of them on the so-called administrative detention.
- Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike - Apr 17, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli army in West Bank - Feb 12, 2012
- Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners - Apr 06, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian prisoner's wife delivers baby via smuggled semen - Aug 13, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinians ask Israel to amend economic agreement - Sep 09, 2012
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
Tags: administrative detention, al maliki, demand improvements, foreign affairs minister, hamas, hamas movement, hunger strike, hunger strikers, imprisonment, inmates, israeli jails, palestinian national authority, palestinian prisoners, palestinians, pna, prison conditions, ramallah, riad, ruler, xinhua