President’s son quizzed over Rs.1 crore seizureFebruary 21st, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Amravati (Maharashtra), Feb 21 (IANS) Raosaheb Shekhawat, son of President Pratibha Patil and a Congress legislator in Maharashtra, was Tuesday questioned by police in connection with the seizure of Rs.10 million (over $200,000) in cash, police said.
“Yes, he had been called for investigations into the matter. Further investigations are on,” Amravati’s Police Commissioner Amitesh Kumar told IANS after the questioning got over.
Shekhawat represents Amravati in the assembly. Besides him, his lawyer Ganesh Patil and Amravati district Congress chief Vasantrao C. were also present during the interrogation, Kumar said.
Maharashtra minister Rajendra Mulak, who had been asked to be present too, could not make it, Kumar said.
Police swung into action following a directive by State Election Commissioner Neela Satyanarayan to probe the seizure on the eve of the Feb 16 polls to 10 municipal corporations including Amravati.
A Ford vehicle - containing Rs.1 crore cash in bundles of Rs.500 and Rs.100 denomination - was intercepted Feb 11 by police during night raids.
While the source of the cash consignment remained unclear, police arrested two Nagpur residents who were carrying the bundles of money.
The election panel directed the district collectorate to file a report. Notices were issued to Shekhawat and other Congress leaders to remain present Tuesday.
Rushing to his rescue, state Congress president Manikrao Thakre contended it was party funds, meant to be distributed among candidates contesting the elections.
“We wanted to distribute Rs.100,000 each to the financially weak candidates for election expenses,” Thakre said soon after the cash was seized.
Shekhawat also claimed the money was meant for distribution among 87 financially weak candidates fielded for the Amravati municipal corporation polls.
However, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alleged that the money was intended to be distributed among voters to influence them.
- 'Communication gap' led to Rs.1 cr seizure, says Patil's son (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Rs.1 crore cash found in car - Feb 12, 2012
- Maha polls: President's son Raosaheb gets ticket from Amravati - Sep 22, 2009
- It is raining cash in Andhra by-elections - Jun 06, 2012
- President's son wins in Amravati (Lead) - Oct 22, 2009
- Congress suspends two leaders for indiscipline - Feb 01, 2012
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll cancellation: Congress nominee moves court - Apr 03, 2012
- Election expenses for Maharashtra civic polls hiked - Jan 04, 2012
- Cash seizure: Youth Congress for mayor's resignation - Aug 27, 2011
- Assembly polls: Initial trends show Congress sweep in three states - Oct 22, 2009
- Maharashtra poll: Congress fields president's son Rajendra Shekhawat - Sep 23, 2009
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, bharatiya janata party, congress chief, congress leaders, congress president, election commissioner, election expenses, ford vehicle, legislator, maharashtra, municipal corporations, police commissioner, president pratibha patil, quizzed, rajendra, rs 1, rs 500, seizure, state congress, state election