Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil NaduJuly 19th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai/Puducherry, July 19 (IANS) Voting in the presidential election has ended in Puducherry, while it was still in progress in Tamil Nadu Thursday.
Polling in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry began around 10 a.m.
In Tamil Nadu, Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa cast the first ballot at the state secretariat, followed by other legislators.
All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK)’s Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members have been allowed to vote in the state.
Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) president M. Karunanidhi and other members of his party have also cast their ballot to elect India’s 13th president.
Out of the 234 legislators, only 197 would vote in Tamil Nadu, as Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) with 29 members and Communist Party of India with eight members decided to boycott the poll.
In Puducherry, all the 30 legislators cast their votes and the polling ended before noon.
The value of a Tamil Nadu assembly member’s vote is 176 while it is 16 for a Puducherry legislator.
- Voting in presidential poll ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- AIADMK, CPI-M in talks on seat sharing - Feb 19, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Voting for presidential poll begins in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- DMK pulls up Vijayakanth for beating party worker - Mar 31, 2011
- Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran lauds Karunanidhi during poll campaign - Apr 09, 2011
- Transgender candidate to contest Tamil Nadu polls - Mar 12, 2011
- AIADMK, AINRC win by-polls in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Oct 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: 13th president, aiadmk, assembly member, chennai, chief minister, communist party of india, dmdk, dravida munnetra kazhagam, j jayalalithaa, legislator, legislators, Lok Sabha, presidential election, presidential poll, puducherry, rajya sabha, secretariat, state secretariat