Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers ThursdayJune 27th, 2012 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee will file his nomination for the July 19 presidential poll Thursday morning, said official sources Wednesday.
Opposition candidate P.A. Sangma, who is supported by the Bharatiya Janata Party, the AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal, will also file his nomination in the afternoon the same day, said the sources.
The filing of nominations would mark the formal start of the race for presidency, in which Mukherjee appears to have a clear edge over Sangma.
United Progressive Alliance (UPA) sources said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar, Rashtriya Lok Dal chief Ajit Singh, senior DMK leaders besides other senior cabinet ministers will accompany Mukherjee.
Given UPA partner Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee’s opposition to Mukherjee’s candidature, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who supports the UPA from outside and Janata Dal-United chief Sharad Yadav, who broke ranks with the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance to support the UPA nominee, have also been invited in a show of strength in favour of Mukherjee, said the sources.
While the Congress was able to break the new found alliance between Trinamool and the SP, who were opposing its presidential candidate, and win over Mulayam Singh, the party will also use the filing of nomination to show that it has been able to divide the NDA by getting support of its allies JD-U and the Shiv Sena.
The scrutiny of the nominations will be done on July 2, the last date for withdrawal is July 4, the poll will take place July 19 and counting of votes will be on July 22.
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election - Jun 28, 2012
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Race for Raisina Hill on, Pranab, Sangma file nominations (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in Delhi - Jun 17, 2012
- Akhilesh to host Pranab to lunch Tuesday (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Polling to elect next Indian president ends - Jul 19, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab in UP Monday to scout for support - Jul 02, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, ajit singh, bharatiya janata party, congress chief, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, national democratic alliance, nationalist congress party, opposition candidate, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, sharad pawar, sharad yadav, shiv sena, sonia gandhi