Presidential poll on July 19, result on July 22 (Lead)June 12th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The presidential poll will be held on July 19 and the name of the new occupant of the Rashtrapati Bhavan will be declared on July 22, Chief Election Commissioner V.S. Sampath announced Tuesday. The term of incumbent President Pratibha Patil ends July 24.
“The term of office of Pratibha Patil, President of India, ends on July 24, 2012. An election to fill the vacancy shall need to be completed before the expiry of her term,” Sampath said. The counting will be held on July 22 and the result will be declared the same day.
Announcing the schedule for the presidential election, Sampath said: “The election commission notification calling for the presidential election will be issued on June 16 and the last day for making nominations is on June 30.”
Date for the scrutiny of nominations will be on July 2 while the last day for withdrawal of candidature is July 4.
“Date on which poll shall be held is July 19 and counting will be on July 22,” he said.
The poll panel chief said the election commission is mandated to ensure that election of president - the highest elected office in the nation — must be free and fair.
“President is elected by members of electoral college consisting of elected members of both houses of parliament and elected member of legislative assemblies of all states including National Capital Territory of Delhi and Union Territory of Pondicherry,” he said.
The election will be conducted by the system of proportional representation and by means of single transferable vote. The voting will be through secret ballot.
“The election commission, in consultation with central government, has decided to appoint secretary general of Rajya Sabha (V.K. Agnihotri) as the returning office for election,” he said.
- Prez poll schedule to be announced soon: Sampath (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Presidential poll outcome Sunday - Jul 21, 2012
- Vice presidential election Aug 7: Poll panel (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Countdown begins, presidential poll on July 19 (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- BJP's J. Shantha allowed to vote in presidential poll - Jul 12, 2012
- Presidential polls: Ballot boxes to reach Delhi by Friday - Jul 19, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Advani compares 2012 presidential poll to 1969 - Jun 15, 2012
- Mulayam's vote for Pranab doesn't count: EC - Jul 20, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Pranab favourite as lawmakers vote for new president (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: candidature, central government, chief election commissioner, election commission, electoral college, houses of parliament, incumbent president, legislative assemblies, national capital territory, panel chief, president of india, president pratibha patil, presidential poll, proportional representation, rajya sabha, rashtrapati bhavan, s sampath, secret ballot, single transferable vote, union territory of pondicherry