Presidential poll: Numbers favour Pranab

June 21st, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS  

Pranab Mukherjee With the country’s political parties clearing their stand Thursday, the numbers show a clear inclination towards United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee.

Pranab Mukherjee:

The ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), in its present form, has 450,555 votes or 41.07 percent of the total. Of this, the Congress has 331,855 votes, or 30.3 percent of the total.

Minus Trinamool Congress, the UPA has 36.67 percent votes.

Samajwadi Party with 6.3 percent votes, and Bahujan Samaj Party with four percent vote are in favour of Mukherjee.

The Janata Dal-United with 3.80 percent votes and the Shiv Sena with 1.7 percent votes also favour Mukherjee.

Among Left parties, the Communist party of India-Marxist has 3.3 percent and Forward Bloc has 0.4 percent votes. They are for Mukherjee.

The Communist Party of India with 0.8 percent and Revolutionary Socialist Party with 0.3 percent votes will abstain from voting. This will also help Mukherjee.

The tally for Mukherjee will thus be 56.17 percent of the total number of votes, giving him a clear majority.

P.A. Sangma:

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is backing Sangma, has 21.2 percent votes. Its ally in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Shiromani Akali Dal has 1.1 percent votes, making the total percentage of votes for Sangma from the NDA 22.3.

J. Jayalalithaa’s AIADMK has 3.3 percent votes, and Naveen Patnaik’s Biju Janta Dal has 2.8 percent, a total of 6.1 percent.

The total for Sangma hence is 31.7 percent of the votes.

Trinamool Comgress, with 4.4 percent votes in the electoral college, is not supporting Mukherjee. But it has also not made it clear if it will support Sangma.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |

Subscribe