Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for SangmaMay 20th, 2012 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 20 (IANS) AIADMK leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa has been speaking to leaders of various national and regional parties seeking their support for P.A. Sangma’s candidature for the post of president, her party said Sunday.
In a statement issued here, the AIADMK said Jayalalithaa spoke to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) General Secretary Prakash Karat and CPI leader A.B. Bardhan as part of garnering support for Sangma, a former Lok Sabha speaker.
She also discussed the matter with Telugu Desam Party leader N.Chandrababu Naidu, Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav, Shironmani Akali Dal leader and her Punjab counterpart Parkash Singh Badal.
Seeking their support, she said Nationalist Congress Party leader Sangma, hailing from northeastern region and belonging to a tribal community, is fully qualified to become the president.
On Thursday, Jayalalithaa announced that her party supported the candidature of Sangma for the office of president of India.
She said the decision was arrived at “after due internal consultation” with Odisha Chief Minister and Biju Janata Dal chief Naveen Patnaik. She said none belonging to the tribal community had ever become the president.
- Jayalalithaa urges parties to support Sangma - May 18, 2012
- Jayalalithaa supports Sangma for president's post - May 17, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sangma pushes himself for president - May 22, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- I'm very much in the presidential race: Sangma - Jun 14, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- I will be India's next president: Purno Sangma (Interview) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- President should be from tribal community: Sangma - May 17, 2012
Tags: akali dal, badal, bardhan, chandrababu naidu, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, internal consultation, j jayalalithaa, l k advani, Lok Sabha, mulayam singh yadav, nationalist congress party, naveen patnaik, northeastern region, prakash karat, president of india, presidential poll, regional parties, Samajwadi Party, tribal community