President Zardari returns home after Indian pilgrimageApril 8th, 2012 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 8 (IANS) President Asif Ali Zardari returned to Pakistan late Sunday evening after a day-long private visit to India during which he met Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and paid obeisance at Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti’s shrine in Ajmer.
President Zardari’s son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Senator Babar Awan and Farooq H. Naek were also part of the president’s delegation that comprised three-dozen dignitaries, Geo News reported.
In New Delhi, Zardari attended a luncheon hosted by Indian Prime Minister Singh, before which they held talks for 40-minutes on a range of issues.
Zardari later travelled to Ajmer Shareef to pray at the shrine revered of Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti after a gap of eight years. He also announced a donation of $1 million for the dargah.
India and Pakistan, which resumed their dialogue in February last year after a post 26/11 pause, moved a step closer to their “common desire” of normalising relations after a businesslike lunch and 40 minutes one-one-talks talks between Zardari and Singh in New Delhi.
Later, in a step forward, the two leaders directed their home secretaries to discuss the issue of terror and sign a pact on easing the visa regime.
In a surprise announcement, Manmohan Singh announced at a joint appearance with Zardari, that he would be “very happy” to visit Pakistan.
It was the most positive indication so far that Manmohan Singh, who was born in an area that is now in Pakistan, could after all go on his maiden visit to the neighbouring country.
If the visit takes place, it will be the first by an Indian prime minister in the last eight years. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the last Indian prime minister to visit Pakistan in 2004.
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Zardari arrives in Ajmer, heads for dargah - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari leaves for India - Apr 08, 2012
- Bansal to be minister-in-waiting for Zardari - Apr 07, 2012
- Manmohan, Zardari to discuss 'important' issues - Apr 07, 2012
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- PM tells Zardari to pray for peace, tweets Sushma - Apr 08, 2012
- 2,000 cops deployed for Zardari's Delhi visit - Apr 06, 2012
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
- China hails warming India-Pakistan ties - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistanis urge India to free aged prisoner Chishti - Apr 08, 2012
- Table for 20 at PM's luncheon for Zardari (With Image) - Apr 08, 2012
- Precious gifts, special prayers for Zardaris at Ajmer shrine (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Zardari likely to come on 'personal' visit to India (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, chisti, dargah, geo news, india and pakistan, indian pilgrimage, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, maiden visit, manmohan singh, moinuddin chishti, naek, neighbouring country, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private visit, rehman malik, sufi saint, surprise announcement, visa regime