President to open Maharashtra assembly platinum jubileeOctober 17th, 2011 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 17 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil will inaugurate the platinum jubilee (1937-2011) celebrations of the Maharashtra legislature here Tuesday, official sources said.
The two-day event (Oct 18-19) will be held at the Vidhan Bhavan in south Mumbai and will see the presence of leaders and legislators from all over the country.
The celebrations were earlier planned July 19-20 but were postponed in view of the July 13 Mumbai terror attack.
The president is herself a former member of the Maharashtra assembly. She entered the house at the age of 27, and later served as a minister and the leader of the opposition.
Governor K. Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, union Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde (all three former chief ministers) will also be present on the occasion.
The second day will see a discussion on coalition governments.
It will be attended by Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council chairman A. Chakrapani, Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narain Choudhari and his Karnataka and Haryana counterparts, K.G. Bopiah and Kuldeep Sharma.
Maharashtra has a bicameral legislature - the 289-member assembly and a 78-member council.
The present legislature building, situated in the heart of the business district of Nariman Point, was inaugurated by prime minister Indira Gandhi April 19, 1981.
The old legislature, barely a kilometer away, now houses the Maharashtra Police headquarters.
Two sessions of the state legislature - budget and monsoon are held in Mumbai, while the winter session is held in Nagpur, the second capital of the state.
- Need to reform institutions in tune with times: President - Oct 18, 2011
- Maharashtra budget session from March 15 - Feb 21, 2012
- Journalist delegation meets Maharashtra governor - Jul 26, 2012
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- Sonia authorised to pick new Maharashtra chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Chavan, ministers walk to assembly, leave cars at gates - Mar 18, 2010
- Maharashtra governor wants vocational training varsity - May 04, 2012
- Assam may have bicameral legislature - Jul 17, 2010
- Mumbai Police to probe CAG report leak - Apr 17, 2012
- Sankaranarayanan sworn in as Maharashtra governor for second term - May 07, 2012
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Maharashtra observes peaceful I-Day celebrations - Aug 15, 2010
- Prosecute Deshmukh, Shinde for Adarsh scam, demands BJP - Feb 11, 2011
- Veteran socialist leader Mrinal Gore dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, bicameral legislature, chakrapani, chavan, chief ministers, coalition governments, indira gandhi, kuldeep, leader of the opposition, maharashtra legislature, maharashtra police, member assembly, platinum jubilee, president pratibha patil, prime minister indira, prithviraj, sankaranarayanan, sharad pawar, south mumbai, vilasrao deshmukh