President Pratibha Patil begins two-day Bihar visitFebruary 15th, 2008 - 5:33 pm ICT by admin
Patna, Feb 15 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Friday began her two-day visit to Bihar amid tight security. She is scheduled to attend several official functions in Gaya and Patna during her visit - the first to the state since assuming office in July 2007.
The state home department sources said she arrived at the International Airport in Gaya, about 100 km from here, in the morning and left for Nalanda to see the remains of the ancient Nalanda University.
She will return to Gaya Friday afternoon and visit Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya, where Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment about 2,550 years ago.
Officials said the president would also inaugurate a cultural function, Tarang, at the Magadh University in Bodh Gaya before returning to Patna.
She will visit the Sikh holy shrine Takht Saheb in Patna Saturday morning and participate in two programmes - Kanya Suraksha Yojana and Mukhiya Mantri Kanyadan Yojana.
She will also visit the Vaishaligarh, Shanti Stupa and other historic sites in Vaishali district Saturday.
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- President Patil launches Bihar's scheme for girl child - Feb 16, 2008
- Buddhist monks protest Bihar advertisement - Feb 16, 2008
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Online donation to Bodh Gaya temple begins - Mar 04, 2010
- Bhutanese PM attends annual Mahabodhi Society meet - Sep 25, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- High security for Dalai Lama's visit to Bodh Gaya - Jan 03, 2010
- Dalai Lama to visit Bodh Gaya in January - Nov 20, 2009
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Nitish Kumar meets Bhutanese PM in Bodh Gaya - Sep 26, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks end hunger strike for control over temple - Jan 14, 2010