President, PM join Rakhi celebrationsAugust 16th, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Like millions of others in India, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also celebrated the festival of Rakshabandhan Saturday, interacting with children who had a memorable time. Patil met a group of children from Delhi and neighbouring areas at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion. Patil told them she was happy that the children knew the importance of the festival which celebrates the love between brothers and sisters which is beyond the barriers of caste and religion.
As she distributed sweets to the nearly 70 children from Delhi, Rewari, Bahadurgarh, Panipat, Ambala, Bhiwadi and Faridabad, she noted that an Indian is known for having emotional integrity.
“All problems, whatever they maybe, can be solved through discussions,” she stressed.
Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Kaur invited schoolchildren to their official residence. The children, all dressed in their traditional and colourful best, tied threads of different colours on the prime minister’s wrist.
Manmohan Singh said in a message to the country that this was an occasion to uphold the traditional values of the nation’s culture and acknowledge and celebrate the role of women.
He also distributed sweets to the children from the Society for Rehabilitation of Physically Handicapped and All India Balmiki Samaj, among others.
- Political VVIPs celebrate Raksha Bandhan with kids - Aug 24, 2010
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- President Patil meets children on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 24, 2010
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Vishu, Rongali Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- President, PM celebrate Raksha Bandhan with children - Aug 05, 2009
- President, PM greet India on Ugadi, Gudi Padava, Chetti Chand, Chaitra Sukladi - Apr 04, 2011
- President, Vice President greet people ahead of Raksha Bandhan - Aug 23, 2010
- Special police stations to tackle power, water theft - Dec 06, 2011
- Manmohan Singh celebrates Raksha Bandhan - Aug 16, 2008
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- President, Vice President greet nation ahead of Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- Haryana sets up police stations to check power, water theft - Feb 05, 2011
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- President, PM celebrate Raksha Bandhan with kids (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: ambala, bahadurgarh, bhiwadi, caste, emotional integrity, faridabad, manmohan, manmohan singh, memorable time, neighbouring areas, panipat, pratibha devisingh patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rashtrapati bhavan, rewari, role of women, samaj, schoolchildren, traditional values