President, PM greet nation on ‘Makar Sankranti’, ‘Pongal’ (Lead)January 13th, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Vice President Hamid Ansari Friday greeted the nation on the occasion of ‘Makar Sankranti’ and ‘Pongal’, expressing the hope that the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness.
Wishing the people, Patil said: “These festivals are expressions of the emotional unity that is our nation’s strength. May the celebrations reinforce the ties that bind us together as a nation, in peace and harmony.”
The prime minister also greeted the people on the occasion of Lohri - which is celebrated Jan 13 by Punjabis and Sikhs. The festival heralds the harvest season where people pray for bumper crops.
In his message, he said that these harvest festivals - Lohri, Bihu, Makar Sankranti and Pongal - are an occasion to recognize the immense contribution that our farmers make to the well-being of the country.
“May these festivals bring prosperity, happiness and joy for all”, he said.
In his message, Ansari said: “These festivals are celebrated in various parts of the country with traditional fervour and gaiety and mark the beginning of ‘Uttarayana’ and the harvest season.”
“May these festivals bring peace, prosperity and happiness to the citizens of our country,” he added.
While Lohri was celebrated Friday, the other harvest festivals will fall Saturday.
- Patil, Ansari greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' - Jan 13, 2012
- President, vice president greet nation on Makar Sankranti, Pongal - Jan 13, 2011
- Leaders greet people on Pongal, Sankranti - Jan 14, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Makar Sankranti, Lohri - Jan 13, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Vishu, Rongali Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- President, Vice President greet nation on Makara Sankranti, Pongal - Jan 13, 2011
- PM greets nation on Lohri, Sankranti, Bhogali Bihu and Pongal - Jan 13, 2009
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- PM greets nation on Vaisakhi, Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Bollywood wishes fans on Makar Sankranti - Jan 14, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals - Jan 12, 2009
Tags: bumper crops, celebrations, gaiety, hamid ansari, harvest festivals, harvest season, immense contribution, lohri, makar sankranti, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, peace and harmony, pongal, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prosperity, punjabis, sikhs