President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead)April 6th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 6 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday greeted the nation on the occasion of Mahavir Jayanti being celebrated Tuesday.
Extending her good wishes, the president in her message said : “May the message of Lord Mahavir of love, compassion and peace guide our conduct and inspire us to follow the path of ahimsa (non-violence) for good of all humanity.”
Lord Mahavir is the 24th and last Tirthankara, according to Jain philosophy. A Tirthankara is an enlightened soul who is born as a human being and attains perfection through intense meditation.
The vice president, who is in Kuwait on an official visit, said that Bhagwan Mahavir, through his divine life and teachings, showed us the path of non-violence, truthfulness, peace and universal love.
“His teachings are relevant at all times to emancipate mankind from suffering and to ensure peace and happiness through spiritual excellence. On this occasion, let us imbibe Bhagwan Mahavir’s teachings for promoting peace and enduring happiness of humanity,” he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted the nation and said Lord Mahavir’s message of peace and non-violence had become even more relevant in today’s world.
“Lord Mahavir’s life and philosophy inspire all of us to lead a life of compassion, sacrifice and non-violence,” the prime minister said in his message.
- President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- President, Vice President greet nation ahead of Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- President, PM greet the nation on Buddha Purnima - May 05, 2012
- 'Mahavir Jayanti' being celebrated today - Apr 07, 2009
- PM greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 15, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Buddha Purnima - May 16, 2011
- PM greets nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 06, 2009
- Maharashtra celebrates Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 05, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Buddha Purnima (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- President, vice president greet nation on Buddha Purnima - May 26, 2010
- PM, VP greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 06, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on Buddha Poornima - May 08, 2009
- Mahatma Gandhi inspired millions to unite for cause of freedom, independence: President Patil - Oct 01, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Mahavir Jayanti (Lead) - Mar 27, 2010
- President, vice president greet nation on Milad-Un-Nabi - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: compassion, divine life, hamid ansari, intense meditation, kuwait, lord mahavir, mankind, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, peace and happiness, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, promoting peace, sacrifice, spiritual excellence, tirthankara, truthfulness, violence