President Patil visits Parliament MuseumMay 1st, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Friday visited the Parliament Museum at the invitation of Speaker Somnath Chatterjee.
The president was accompanied by her husband Devisingh Shekhawat and two grandchildren, said a release issued by the speaker’s office.
The president was received by the speaker, who escorted her around, the release said, adding Lok Sabha Secretary General P.D.T. Achary and eminent museologist Saroj Ghose, who designed the museum, were also present.
The president wrote in the visitor’s book: “This museum brings to us, together, various facts of our parliamentary democracy, which make all of us proud citizens of world’s largest democracy. I am happy that efforts have been made not only to present our post-Independence democratic history but also our democratic heritage which goes far back into ancient times.”
“A visit here is an inspiration for every one, particularly the younger generation, to maintain and to further strengthen our democratic polity, which has been established through the untiring work and sacrifice of those men and women, well known as well as unsung, who fought and brought us freedom and democracy,” she wrote.
The Parliament Museum was inaugurated in August 2006 and opened for the public on Sep 5, 2006.
- 'Commonwealth leaders should reconnect with electorate' (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Meira Kumar leaves for New York - Nov 13, 2009
- Former law secretary Vishwanathan is new Lok Sabha secretary general - Sep 27, 2010
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- President's daughter to holiday in Shimla - May 13, 2011
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
- President Patil visits Forbidden City in China - May 28, 2010
- Indian speaker offers to train Bangladesh MPs (Lead) - Feb 22, 2009
- Meira Kumar heads parliamentary team to Mauritius - Jan 16, 2010
- After Pranab, Mamata grabs eyeballs at central hall (Sidelights) - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Techno Chaitanya Museum' to come up in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2011
- Credibility of parliamentary system getting questioned: Somnath - Aug 13, 2012
- Lok Sabha ex-speakers may get better retirement benefits (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Firmly reject those mocking democratic institutions: PM (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Several accomplishments during Somanth's tenure as speaker: PM - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: democratic heritage, democratic polity, freedom and democracy, ghose, grandchildren, inspiration, invitation, Lok Sabha, may 1, men and women, New Delhi, parliament, parliamentary democracy, president pratibha patil, proud citizens, sacrifice, secretary general, shekhawat, somnath, younger generation