President Patil launches Bihar’s scheme for girl childFebruary 16th, 2008 - 7:01 pm ICT by admin
Patna, Feb 16 (IANS) President Prathiba Patil Saturday launched a girl child development scheme of the Bihar government aimed at empowering women. Patil launched the scheme called ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojna’ on the second day of her two-day visit to Bihar.
After inaugurating the scheme, the president said: “We should fight discrimination against the girl child.” She handed over to a few women from the state cheques under the scheme.
Last year, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched the girl child scheme on Nov 24 to mark the completion of his two years in office.
Under the scheme, the government will issue a bond of Rs.2,000 at the time of the girl child’s birth. “The bond will mature when the girl attains 18 years of age and will be of help for her wedding,” Nitish Kumar said.
The president Friday began her two-day visit to Bihar. It is her first visit to the state since assuming office in July 2007. She visited Friday the “remains of the historic Nalanda University” in Nalanda and visited the Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya, where Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment about 2,550 years back.
She inaugurated a cultural function, Tarang, at the Magadh University in Bodh Gaya Friday before returning to Patna.
Early Saturday morning, she visited the Vaishaligarh, Shanti Stupa and other historic sites in Vaishali district. She is to visit the Sikh holy shrine Takht Saheb in Patna.
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- World Bank chief to sign pact for rebuilding flood-hit Bihar - Jan 11, 2011
- Buddhist monks protest Bihar advertisement - Feb 16, 2008
- President Pratibha Patil begins two-day Bihar visit - Feb 15, 2008
- Nalanda to be developed as tourist hub - Feb 18, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- President Patil to visit Bihar tomorrow - Feb 14, 2008
- President Patil to visit Bihar today - Feb 15, 2008
- On way to China, Nitish eyes tourism, trade tie-ups - Jun 11, 2011
- Bhutanese PM attends annual Mahabodhi Society meet - Sep 25, 2010
- Nitish Kumar to visit China to promote Bihar - Jun 03, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: bihar government, bodh gaya, buddha, cheques, chief minister, child development, development scheme, empowering women, enlightenment, girl child, holy shrine, mahabodhi temple, nalanda university, nitish kumar, prathiba patil, rs 2, saheb, saturday morning, stupa, tarang