President offers prayers at Golden TempleOctober 6th, 2010 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Oct 6 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Wednesday arrived in this Sikh holy city and offered prayers at ‘Harmandar Sahib’, popularly known as the Golden Temple, the holiest of Sikh shrines in the world.
Dressed in an ivory-coloured saree with a deep red border and her head covered, the president went around the ‘parkarma’ of the Golden Temple before entering the sanctum sanctorum to offer prayers.
Accompanied by her husband Devisingh Shekhawat and other family members, the president bowed before the Sikh holy book ‘Guru Granth Sahib’ inside the shrine.
Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, Bathinda MP and Sukhbir Badal’s wife Harsimrat Badal and other dignitaries accompanied the president during her maiden visit to the Sikh shrine.
Tight security arrangements were made for the president’s visit here. Security personnel swarmed every inch of the area where the president was to go. Security men in plainclothes accompanied her and other VIPs inside the Golden Temple complex.
Volunteers of the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) formed a human chain around the ‘parkarma’ and the sanctum sanctorum as the president arrived at the shrine.
The president was given a ’siropa’ (religious symbol) by the ‘granthis’ (priests) of the temple inside the shrine.
The president came here to attend a function of the ‘Nanhi Chhaan’ (Tender Shadow) campaign to save the girl child and plant more trees.
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- PM begins new year with prayers at Golden Temple (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Shivraj Patil visits Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh - Jan 28, 2010
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- PM begins New Year with prayers, showed black flags in Amritsar (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Dowry a curse, that's why girls are killed: President Patil - Oct 06, 2010
- Canadian PM Harper visits Golden Temple (Lead) - Nov 18, 2009
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- Obama to visit Golden Temple, college in Amritsar - Oct 15, 2010
- PM prays at Golden Temple, faces black flags (Third Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- 'Headgear issue will be sorted out for Obama's Golden Temple visit' - Oct 19, 2010
- Canadian PM to visit Golden Temple Tuesday - Nov 16, 2009
Tags: bathinda, deputy chief minister, girl child, golden temple amritsar, guru granth sahib, maiden visit, navjot singh sidhu, parkash singh badal, president pratibha patil, religious symbol, sanctum sanctorum, security arrangements, security men, shekhawat, shiromani gurdwara, sikh holy book, sikh shrines, sukhbir badal, sukhbir singh badal, tight security