President Obama orders flags to be flown half-staffAugust 27th, 2009 - 1:12 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — President Obama signed the following proclamation on Wednesday, ordering flags to be flown half-staff.
“Senator Edward M. Kennedy was not only one of the greatest senators of our time, but one of the most accomplished Americans ever to serve our democracy. Over the past half-century, nearly every major piece of legislation that has advanced the civil rights, health, and economic well-being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts. With his passing, an important chapter in our American story has come to an end.
As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on August 30, 2009. I also direct that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff until sunset on the day of his interment. I further direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same periods at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military and naval vessels and stations.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-sixth day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.
- U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong's funeral planned for Friday - Aug 28, 2012
- Obama orders flags at half-mast - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy funeral: Obama to deliver eulogy - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama proclaims 9/11 as "Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance" - Sep 11, 2009
- Obama Set To Deliver Eulogy At Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- President Obama calls for moment of silence for victims of Arizona mass shooting - Jan 10, 2011
- A proclamation by POTUS on German-American Day 2009 - Oct 07, 2009
- Indian flag to fly half-mast to mourn Deshmukh death - Aug 14, 2012
- Statement from NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg regarding the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- Statements by New York Governor and Lieutenant Governor on the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy - Aug 27, 2009
- Kentucky State Flag To Remain Half Staffed On March 1st - Feb 28, 2010
- Senator of Senators, an important chapter - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- Kennedy's death brings end to historic chapter: Obama - Aug 26, 2009
- `Celebration of Life' memorial for Kennedy in Boston - Aug 29, 2009
Tags: barack obama, bno, civil rights, consular offices, district of columbia, edward m kennedy, flags, interment, laws of the united states of america, military posts, naval vessels, possessions, public buildings, rights health, senator edward, senators, sixth day, states of america, united states embassies, year of our lord