President honours freedom fightersAugust 9th, 2012 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday honoured and feted freedom fighters to mark the 70th anniversary of the Quit India Movement at an elegant ceremony that evoked sentiments of patriotism and national pride.
Freedom fighters from across the country attended the At Home reception held at the Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Mukherjee met veteran freedom fighters and honoured each of them by placing an “angavastram” - shawl or a stole - across their shoulders.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vice President Hamid Ansari and senior cabinet ministers were present at the function.
The Quit India movement was launched on Aug 9, 1942. The Congress Aug 8 adopted in then Bombay a resolution calling on the British to ‘Quit India’.
- A popular touch to President Pranab's At Home reception - Aug 15, 2012
- Congress marks 'Quit India' movement's 70th anniversary - Aug 10, 2012
- Patil greets guests 'At Home', Thai PM says Namaste India - Jan 26, 2012
- President hosts R'Day reception, Yudhoyono 'At Home' - Jan 26, 2011
- President hosts Independence Day reception - Aug 15, 2011
- President Mukherjee hosts Iftar - Aug 17, 2012
- President hosts "At Home" on Quit India movement's 67th anniversary - Aug 09, 2009
- They fought for India's freedom, now they battle penury - Aug 14, 2009
- Maharashtra cabinet mourns Deshmukh, Kunte - Aug 16, 2012
- Keshava Rao to attend West Bengal Congress meet Monday - Aug 08, 2010
- Rashtrapati Bhavan: Viceregal lodge to India's presidential abode - Jul 24, 2012
- President calls BJP leaders over seating at I-Day reception - Aug 16, 2012
- Nation observes 67th anniversary of Quit India Movement - Aug 09, 2009
- Mounted bodyguards, hazar sallam - Regal grandeur marks Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 25, 2012
- Indonesian President arrives in Delhi on three-day state visit - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: 70th anniversary, bombay, cabinet ministers, congress, freedom fighters, hamid ansari, honours, india movement, manmohan, manmohan singh, national pride, New Delhi, patriotism, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sentiments, shawl, shoulders, vice president