President dissolves 14th Lok SabhaMay 18th, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Monday dissolved the 14th Lok Sabha on the recommendation of the outgoing cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
In an official communique released by the Rashtrapathi Bhavan, the president signed an order dissolving the Lok Sabha thus paving the way for the formation of the next government.
Earlier, Manmohan Singh met the President and submitted the resignations of the members of his council of ministers. Manmohan Singh, who also formally stepped down as prime minister, was asked to continue as the head of a caretaker government.
President Patil, who hosts a dinner for the outgoing cabinet later in the evening, will invite Manmohan Singh to form the next government Tuesday.
The tally of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) rose to 263 with the independent MP from Ladakh joining the National Conference, which is part of the UPA.
Now the UPA is nine short of the magic halfway mark of 272 seats needed for majority in the 545-member house, of which 543 are elected.
At the final cabinet meeting at the prime minister’s 7, Race Course Road residence, where the ministers submitted their resignations, a resolution of appreciation for Manmohan Singh was passed.
- PM meets Patil, submits resignation of cabinet (Lead) - May 18, 2009
- With Lucknow in mind, Ajit Singh gets civil aviation (Roundup) - Dec 18, 2011
- Ministers quit after cabinet meeting, PM to call on Patil - May 18, 2009
- Union Cabinet meeting ends - May 18, 2009
- Manmohan Singh meets President,submit Cabinet's resignation - May 18, 2009
- FDI: Government mobilising numbers, may opt for parliament vote (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Congress on 'wait, watch' mode, DMK firm on pull out (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2011
- PM regrets Trivedi's going; Mukul Roy to be sworn in Tuesday (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- FDI: Government mobilising numbers for adjournment motion, talks to allies (Roundup) - Dec 01, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign Monday - Mar 06, 2011
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- No threat to UPA government: Mulayam Singh (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- President Patil set to invite UPA, PM to meet her Monday - May 17, 2009
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 14th lok sabha, cabinet meeting, caretaker government, congress, council of ministers, government president, independent mp, ladakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, paving the way, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rashtrapathi bhavan, resignations, tally, UPA