President cancels Iftar party due to Delhi blasts, floodsSeptember 16th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday cancelled the Iftar reception scheduled for Friday due to the serial blasts in the national capital that killed 24 people and the devastating floods in Bihar.A Rashtrapati Bhavan communiqué said: “The Iftar reception scheduled to be hosted by the president of India at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Sep 19 has been cancelled in view of the recent tragic events in New Delhi and the unprecedented floods in Bihar.”
More than 100 people were injured in the series of five explosions Saturday evening that hit crowded markets in Karol Bagh and Greater Kailash-I and the city’s central business district Connaught Place.
A group calling itself the Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the bombings.
In the devastating Bihar floods, nearly three million people have been rendered homeless after the Kosi river broke its embankment three weeks ago and swamped hundreds of villages.
About 971,000 people have been evacuated to safer places till date. Around 279,000 people have taken shelter in over 300 relief camps in flood-affected areas, officials said.
- Rahul Gandhi, Lalu Prasad and Ramdev visit flood victims - Sep 09, 2008
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Bihar flood victims asked to stay in camps till Oct 15 - Sep 11, 2008
- Bihar needs special relief package: Nitish Kumar - Sep 10, 2008
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Former Patna High Court chief justice to conduct Kosi probe - Sep 11, 2008
- Doctors suspended for refusing to work in flood hit Bihar - Sep 09, 2008
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar flood victims need new clothes, not old - Sep 09, 2008
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Eyebrows raised over judicial probe into Kosi breach - Sep 10, 2008
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar - Jan 12, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Flood deaths rise to 15 in Nepal - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: bombings, central business district, connaught place, delhi blasts, embankment, explosions, floods, karol bagh, kosi river, mujahideen, New Delhi, president of india, president pratibha patil, rashtrapati bhavan, relief camps, s central, saturday evening, serial blasts, tragic events