President calls BJP leaders over seating at I-Day receptionAugust 16th, 2012 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday called senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders after they expressed their displeasure over seating arrangements during the Independence Day ‘At Home’ reception at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Mukherjee called L.K. Advani, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley, the president’s office told IANS.
“He called the opposition leaders. They were unhappy with the seating arrangements. He said he has taken note of their views and will see what can be done (in the future),” an official in the president’s office told IANS.
The official also clarified that the seating arrangements for Wednesday’s function were as per practice.
“He (president) told them that the seating arrangement was as per the precedent and there was no departure. No discourtesy has been shown,” the official said.
BJP leaders were upset as they were seated away from the special enclosure at the Mughal Gardens where the president, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi were seated.
Viewing it as a snub, BJP sources said they wanted to take up the issue with the president’s office.
Earlier, the party expressed displeasure when Advani was given a seat in the fourth row during the vice president’s swearing-in ceremony Aug 11.
- Half-day in government offices around Parliament House - Jul 24, 2012
- Parrikar's innings at office begins with chaos at swearing in - Mar 09, 2012
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Tradition meets pomp as Pranab sworn in president (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Presidential changeover with 'hazar salam', buggy ride - Jul 21, 2012
- Big Bengal presence at Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 23, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- Mounted bodyguards, hazar sallam - Regal grandeur marks Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 25, 2012
- Pranab heads for Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sangma bruised (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- President Mukherjee hosts Iftar - Aug 17, 2012
- Manmohan seeks support for Mukherjee - Jun 15, 2012
- PM meets President Pranab - Jul 27, 2012
- Ajit Singh to be sworn in as minister Sunday - Dec 16, 2011
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: ansari, arun jaitley, bjp leaders, congress chief, discourtesy, displeasure, l k advani, manmohan, manmohan singh, mughal gardens, New Delhi, opposition leaders, pranab mukherjee, president vice, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, seating arrangement, sonia gandhi, sushma swaraj, swearing in ceremony