President Bakiyev flies out of KyrgyzstanApril 16th, 2010 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
Bishkek, April 15 (DPA) Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev has flown out of the country to neighbouring Kazakhstan, following last week’s bloody protests, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) said Thursday.
The president’s leaving the country was engineered in a joint effort by leaders in neighbouring Kazakhstan, the United States and Russia, the Vienna-based OSCE said in a statement.
During an appearance before supporters in Zhalal-Abad in the south of his country, Bakiyev said that Khazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev had “invited” him, according to media reports.
“This development is an important step towards the stabilization of the situation, a return to a framework providing for the rule of law, and the prevention of a civil war in Kyrgyzstan,” current OSCE chairman and Kazakh Foreign Minister Kanat Saudabayev said.
Tensions heightened Thursday in Kyrgyzstan after an appearance by Bakiyev to rally his supporters turned into a violent confrontation with anti-Bakiyev forces, the Akipress news agency reported.
- OSCE says Kyrgyzstan President Bakiyev's departure is the result of joint efforts with Obama, Medvedev - Apr 15, 2010
- Kyrgyz opposition capture capital after uprising - Apr 08, 2010
- Kazakh president declines 'Leader of Nation' title - Jun 03, 2010
- Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked - Aug 29, 2012
- Five killed in fresh Kyrgyz unrest, president in Belarus - Apr 20, 2010
- Britain eyes Afghanistan transit routes - Mar 02, 2012
- Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-president - Sep 06, 2012
- Moscow turns down Kyrgyzstan's request for help (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan violence mounts refugee crisis - Jun 16, 2010
- Calm returns to Kyrgyzstan after uprising - Apr 09, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan arrests agitators as riot toll touches 120 (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Govt. confirms evacuation of Indian nationals from southern Kyrgyzstan - Jun 15, 2010
- Krishna heads to Kazakhstan, energy tops agenda - May 11, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan PM pledges to curb violence - Jun 15, 2010
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: appearance, civil war, dpa, foreign minister, joint effort, kanat, kazakh, kurmanbek bakiyev, kyrgyz president, kyrgyzstan bishkek, news agency, nursultan nazarbayev, osce, prevention, protests, rule of law, russia, tensions, vienna, violent confrontation