President approves Tendulkar, Rekha’s nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead)April 27th, 2012 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar will now play the new role of a parliamentarian with President Pratibha Patil Thursday approving his nomination to the Rajya Sabha, along with that of renowned actor Rekha and businesswoman Anu Aga.
“The president has approved the nomination of Sachin Tendulkar, Rekha and Anu Aga to the Rajya Sabha,” Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Archana Datta told IANS.
The nomination of the three eminent personalities was approved by the president under rules that allow the nomination of 12 members to the upper house.
Tendulkar, who turned 39 Tuesday, had last month become the first batsman in cricket history to complete 100 international centuries. He scored his much awaited 100th international century in the Asia Cup match against Bangladesh in March.
Acclaimed in the cricketing world for his batting prowess, his exploits in the game have brought laurels to the country.
The approval of Tendulkar’s Rajya Sabha nomination came on a day he met Congress president Sonia Gandhi at her 10, Janpath residence.
Congress leaders said Gandhi was keen to greet the cricketer on his feat of scoring 100 international centuries.
Tendulkar’s nomination to Rajya Sabha came as a surprise as many of his admirers have been wanting him to be given Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian award.
He is the first active cricketer to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
Rekha will join ranks of Bollywood actors who have been members of the upper house including Shatrughan Sinha and Hema Malini.
Jaya Bachchan, another Bollywood actor of yesteryears, is currently in the upper house as a member of Samjawadi Party.
Rekha was one of the top heroines of Hindi films and has won several national awards for sensitive and memorable portrayals in her films.
Film personalities who were nominated to the upper house in the past include Vyjayantimala, Nargis Dutt, Lata Mangeshkar and Sivaji Ganesan.
Aga, former chairperson of Thermax Industries and a member of the Sonia Gandhi led National Advisory Council, is a social worker.
She has written extensively on corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, women empowerment and valuing diversity in India.
Since her retirement, Aga has chosen to focus on education for the underprivileged.
- Rekha's Rajya Sabha nomination no ordinary achievement: Mahesh Bhatt - Apr 27, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha - May 15, 2012
- President approves nomination of Sachin, Rekha to Rajya Sabha - Apr 26, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Mumbaikars' mixed reactions to Sachin's Rajya Sabha nomination - Apr 26, 2012
- Sachin says honoured by RS seat, but no politics - May 01, 2012
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Tendulkar says no to politics after RS nomination (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Court clears Tendulkar's oath-taking in Rajya Sabha - May 16, 2012
- Three cheers for Sachin, Rekha: Bollywood - Apr 27, 2012
- Plea against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination dismissed (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- SC dismiss petition against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination - May 14, 2012
- Sachin enters Rajya Sabha, wants to help sports (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar becomes MP - Jun 05, 2012
- Tendulkar meets Sonia amid possibility of Rajya Sabha nomination - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: batsman in cricket, bollywood actors, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, cricket history, eminent personalities, film personalities, first batsman, hema malini, hindi films, jaya bachchan, lata mangeshkar, nargis dutt, president pratibha patil, rajya sabha, rashtrapati bhavan, renowned actor, sachin tendulkar, shatrughan sinha, vyjayantimala