Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian oppositionAugust 30th, 2012 - 10:06 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Aug 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti have called on the Syrian opposition to prepare to take over power in the country.
“The Syrian opposition should prepare to take responsibility,” Merkel said Wednesday following a meeting with Monti.
The Italian prime minster said Italy was very concerned about the situation in Syria and emphasised that he agreed with Merkel on the issue of Syrian peace resolution.
Since it began with demonstrations against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime in March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various groups.
- Putin speaks out on Syria settlement plan - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia not considering sheltering Syrian president - Mar 08, 2012
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Syrian opposition hopes Russia helps end conflict - Sep 06, 2012
- US seeks Russia's cooperation over Syria resolution - Jun 18, 2011
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Syria dismisses Obama threat as election ploy - Aug 21, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- US says it is trying to force Assad to step down - Aug 01, 2012
- Russia reminds Syria of 1925 chemical weapons ban - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: angela merkel, bashar al assad, berlin, chancellor angela merkel, conflict, demonstrations, emphasised, estimates, german chancellor angela merkel, italian prime minister, italy, mario, peace resolution, president bashar, prime minster, regime, ria novosti, syria, syrian opposition, syrian peace