Prashant Bhushan sticks to stand on Kashmir plebisciteOctober 13th, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) A day after being attacked by right-wing extremist youths for supporting a plebiscite in Kashmir, team Anna member and lawyer Prashant Bhushan Thursday said his views remain unchanged. He, however, clarified these were his views and not of Team Anna.
In an interview to television news channel CNN IBN, Bhushan said it was “absurd” to call these views anti-national or seditious. He also called the incident a result of an increasing “fascist mindset”.
“I don’t have any regrets, those are my views. I realise that those views are the minority views in the country today,” Bhushan said.
“Merely because some people incite public disorder by saying that ‘No, no these views are seditious and therefore I will go and attack and break public property etc’, that cannot make those views seditious,” he said.
“That only means that these people are acting illegally and they need to be controlled,” he said.
Bhushan also said that the views expressed by him were similar to those expressed by India’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru.
“Our prime minister solemnly went and assured the United Nations that there should be a plebiscite and he would have a plebiscite in Kashmir. How can you say that these views are seditious or anti-national,” he asked.
Bhushan, however, made it clear that these were his views and did not reflect the views of team Anna.
Bhushan was bashed up by some youths at his Supreme Court chamber Wednesday. He blamed the assault, captured by a TV crew, on the rightwing Sri Ram Sene even as one of the attackers was held.
Bhushan reportedly supported a plebiscite for Kashmir and said that if the result comes in favour of separation, it should be honoured.
- Prashant Bhushan attacked, one held - Oct 12, 2011
- Prashant Bhsuhan bashed up, one attacker held (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
- Bhushan's Kashmir statement under Anna scanner (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Court seeks police report on action against Prashant Bhushan - Jun 08, 2012
- Ram Dev wants Prashant Bhushan to be booked for sedition - Oct 17, 2011
- Lawyers demand action against Bhushan attackers - Oct 14, 2011
- Anna disagrees with Bhushan, team denies talk of removal - Oct 14, 2011
- Sack Bhushan in 24 hours, Shiv Sena tells Team Anna - Oct 14, 2011
- Police file report against Prashant Bhushan - Sep 03, 2012
- Anna supporters bashed up by Ram Sene activists - Oct 13, 2011
- Attacks pre-planned, claims Kejriwal - Oct 14, 2011
- Anna condemns attack on Prashant Bhushan, asks for security - Oct 12, 2011
- Before assault, attacker wrote letter to Bhushan - Oct 14, 2011
- Bhushan assault accused sent to jail for a day - Oct 13, 2011
- Bhushan attackers released on bail (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: attackers, bhushan, cnn, cnn ibn, favour, jawaharlal nehru, kashmir, mindset, minority views, New Delhi, plebiscite, prime minister jawaharlal, regrets, right wing extremist, rightwing, sri ram, supreme court chamber, television news, tv crew, united nations