Prasad to be deputy opposition leader in Rajya SabhaJuly 19th, 2012 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad is set to become the deputy leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha as his name was suggested to upper house’s Chairman Hamid Ansari Wednesday Bharatiya Janata Party parliamentary party chief L. K. Advani.
Advani has written to Ansari recommending Prasad’s name for the post, lying vacant after S.S. Ahluwalia retired from the house and could not be re-elected.
Prasad, a Supreme Court lawyer, is also the chief spokesperson and general secretary of the party.
He has been minister of state for coal and mines, minister of state for law and justice, and, minister of information and broadcasting in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government.
Prasad, who hails from Bihar, recently got his third term in Rajya Sabha.
- BJP leaders meet president on 'parliament subversion' (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP delegation meets president to discuss Lokpal bill (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- BJP tells Patil to reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP fields Ahluwalia for Rajya Sabha seat - Apr 19, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: JMM irked over BJP decision to field Ahluwalia - Apr 19, 2012
- Reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill, BJP tells Patil (Fourth Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP nominates Ahluwalia for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid Ansari - Jul 09, 2012
- Amid sloganeering, Chidambaram participates in Question Hour - Dec 14, 2011
- Vajpayee, Modi among BJP's star campaigners - Jan 09, 2012
- Parliament again adjourned, government hopes for breakthrough Monday (Intro Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- We don't have illegal accounts abroad, declare BJP MPs - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief spokesperson, coal, deputy leader, deputy opposition leader, general secretary, hamid ansari, l k advani, law and justice, leader of opposition, minister of state, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, parliamentary party, party chief, party leader, rajya sabha, ravi shankar, supreme court lawyer, upper house