Pranab’s village in Bengal celebrates his candidatureJune 15th, 2012 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mirati (West Bengal), June 15 (IANS) Mirati, a sleepy village in West Bengal’s Birbhum district, has suddenly woken up to festivities after its famous son, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, was named a candidate for the president’s post.
“We are very happy at the moment. We had anticipated the announcement and already arranged for massive festivities. People have been bursting firecrackers since the announcement was made on TV,” the minister’s nephew Apremeya told IANS.
Son of Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee and Rajlakshmi Mukherjee, Pranab Mukherjee was born 11 December, 1935, in this village, around 170 Km from Kolkata.
“Our house is being decorated. My mother (Ruby, Mukherjee’s sister-in-law), who is close to ‘kaka’ (uncle), is elated at the news and will be preparing his favourite dishes once he comes home,” said Apremeya.
The minister’s elder sister Annapurna Banerjee, reminiscing about his childhood, said he was a mischief maker.
“He was naughty since childhood. He would often spent hours swimming in the ponds or climbing trees. He would hardly study and I often ended up beating or scolding him. I did not spare him even when he was a grown-up. I once beat him when he was in the university,” she said.
Mukherjee, one of India’s most versatile politicians, was Friday named by the United Progressive Alliance as its presidential candidate, virtually ensuring his entry to the Rashtrapati Bhavan next month.
- Bengal celebrates Pranab's candidature (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Brief profile of UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab's Mirati rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Prayers, festivity in Pranab's village - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Happiest day of my life: Pranab's elder sister - Jul 25, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Government's No.2 is Nation's No.1 (Profile) - Jul 22, 2012
- Big Bengal presence at Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Politician nonpareil becomes constitutional guardian (Profile) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab heads for Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sangma bruised (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab is India's next president, Sangma bruised (Intro Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: 11 december, annapurna, birbhum district, candidature, elder sister, festivities, firecrackers, kamada, mischief maker, nephew, ponds, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, rajlakshmi, rashtrapati bhavan, sister in law, sleepy village, union finance minister, west bengal