Pranab’s signature not forged: ISIJuly 3rd, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 3 (IANS) The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) Tuesday described as “untrue” the BJP’s allegation that UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee’s letter quitting as its chairperson was “fabricated”.
“This is untrue. The letter is still in my custody. I know his signature. It cannot be forged,” the Kolkata-based institute’s director Bimal Roy told IANS.
Roy said Mukherjee had June 20 sent his resignation from the chairman’s post to President Pratibha Patil.
“I received it on June 22,” Roy said.
Mukherjee had filed his nomination for the country’s highest office June 28.
“I even had a talk with Mukherjee on the issue before he filed his resignation,” Roy said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party claimed Tuesday that the resignation letter was fabricated.
A controversy was raked up Monday when Mukherjee’s opponent, P.A. Sangma’s team demanded rejection of Mukherjee’s nomination, alleging that he was holding an office of profit as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
The ISI, an institution of national importance, had Monday clarified that Mukherjee had resigned from the post June 20.
- Pranab's letter quitting Kolkata institute is forged: BJP - Jul 03, 2012
- Pranab's letter quitting Kolkata institute fabricated: BJP (Lead) (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- BJP again rakes up Pranab's 'forged' signature issue - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma's plea rejected, Mukherjee's nomination accepted (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sangma's plea rejected, Mukherjee's nomination accepted (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; ISI says Mukherjee quit July 20 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; ISI says Mukherjee quit June 20 (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against Mukherjee - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangma challenges Pranab's election in apex court (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: allegation, bharatiya janata party, bimal roy, bjp, chairperson, controversy, indian statistical institute, isi, kolkata, nomination, opponent, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, presidential candidate, rejection, resignation letter, signature