Pranab yet again appeals to TrinamoolJune 24th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 24 (IANS) In a fresh appeal apparently aimed at the Trinamool Congress, UPA presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee Sunday urged all political parties to vote for him.
“I am a nominated candidate of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) and other parties. I want everybody’s support and cooperation,” the minister told the media outside his South Kolkata residence.
“Those who have already decided their stand will vote according to the decision of their respective parties.
“To those parties who have not yet taken any decision, I would appeal to them to support the candidate of the UPA in unanimity with the UPA and those outside who have extended support,” he said.
The Trinamool, the second largest constituent of UPA, is yet to announce its stand on the presidential choice after its preferred candidate, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
However, Trinamool chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has so far firmly opposed Mukherjee’s bid for the country’s presidency.
On Saturday night, Mukherjee had said there was no scope for meeting Banerjee now though he would speak to her on the presidential polls if the need arose.
“When it will be necessary, I will definitely talk to her,” Mukherjee said.
Mukherjee is pitted against former Lok Sabha speaker Purno A. Sangma, who has the backing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and some constituents of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) besides the AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal.
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Will talk to Mamata if necessary, says Pranab - Jun 24, 2012
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign June 26 (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Pranab is a friend of Communists: Trinamool - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab will win, says Chidambaram; Sibal meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Let Sangma read the constitution: Bengal Congress chief - Jun 24, 2012
- Sibal meets Mamata to seek support for Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjp, chief minister, former president, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, nda, pranab mukherjee, preferred candidate, presidential choice, presidential nominee, presidential polls, progressive alliance, trinamool congress, unanimity, west bengal