Pranab will win, claims UPAJuly 17th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) Two days ahead of the presidential poll, the UPA Tuesday claimed its nominee Pranab Mukherjee will win comfortably with Mamata Banerjee also extending her support even if grudgingly.
“Pranab will win comfortably,” said a UPA minister who did not want to be named.
Both Mukherjee and his rival P.A. Sangma had been wooing the Trinamool Congress chief and West Bengal chief minister.
According to government sources, Mukherjee has around 7 lakh 35 thousand votes against Sangma’s 3 lakh and 13 thousand, of the total 10 lakh and 97 thousand votes in the electoral college of MPs and state legislators.
Besides UPA members Congress, Trinamool Congress, Nationalist Congress Party, Rashtriya Lok Dal, DMK and National Conference, the parties supporting it like Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party, Rashtriya Janata Dal and Lok Janshakti Party are also for Mukherjee.
While the Communist Party of India-Marxist and Forward Bloc will vote for Mukherjee, the Janata Dal-United and Shiv Sena from the National Democratic Alliance are also backing him.
Those likely to abstain are Communist Party of India, Revolutionary Socialist Party, Telugu Desam Party and Telangana Rashtriya Samithi. These parties have around 36,000 votes.
Then there are around 32,000 votes with smaller parties who have no presence in parliament but have legislators in states.
Government sources claimed Tuesday that a majority of these parties were likely to support the UPA.
Sangma is supported by the Bharatiya Janata Party, Biju Janata Dal, AIADMK, Akali Dal and Asom Gana Parishad.
- India to elect new president Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Nitish, Modi don't vote - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia's lunch presents picture of UPA unity (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Parties begin as Pranab set for victory (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Presidential poll: Numbers favour Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Presidential poll: Sangma hopeful of win, Trinamool support - Jul 15, 2012
- Presidential poll outcome Sunday - Jul 21, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, akali dal, asom gana parishad, banerjee, bharatiya janata party, biju, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dmk, government sources, national democratic alliance, nationalist congress party, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, revolutionary socialist party, state legislators, trinamool congress chief, upa members, west bengal