Pranab welcomes Trinamool decisionJuly 17th, 2012 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) Within minutes of the Trinamool Congress Tuesday deciding to support his presidential bid, ruling United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee welcomed the announcement made by Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee.
“I welcome her decision. I welcome the decision taken by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee,” Mukherjee told a television channel.
He refused to say anything further.
Mukherjee’s comment came after Banerjee, who had been opposing his bid for the top post so long, did a volte face and announced that her party would vote for him in the July 19 poll.
Congress general secretary Shakeel Ahmed, who is in charge of the party’s affairs in West Bengal, also welcomed the Trinamool decision by stating that it would not have been good if Trinamool had voted against Mukherjee or abstained from the presidential poll.
“We all welcome Mamata-di’s decision. We are very happy. It would not have looked good if Trinamool being an alliance partner of the UPA, would have abstained or had voted against Pranab-da,” Ahmed said.
- Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress again appeals to Trinamool to support Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to wait for Sonia's return (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Trinamool to vote for Pranab Mukherjee (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to discuss developments - Mar 18, 2011
- Trinamool's Suman abstains from presidential polls - Jul 19, 2012
- Sangma fails to get Mamata's support (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: alliance partner, general secretary, july 17, mamata banerjee, pranab mukherjee, presidential nominee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, shakeel ahmed, television channel, trinamool congress chief, UPA, volte face, west bengal