Pranab urges Mamata, others to support him in pollJuly 1st, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 1 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance’s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee Sunday urged uncommitted political parties, including Trinamool Congress, to support him in the July 19 poll.
Mukherjee, on a tour of states to seek support, told reporters here that he was “requesting all political parties who have not yet declared their decision, including leader of Trinamool Congress Mamata Banerjee” to back him.
On who can fill his role as the main trouble-shooter of Congress, he said the Congress “is a grand old party. There is no dearth of talent in the over 125-year-old party. It has always risen to the occasion”.
Earlier Mukherjee was given a rousing welcome at the state Congress office here by party leaders and members. In his brief address, he said that presidential poll was above partisan politics and hoped that all political parties would support him.
He also met former prime minister and Janata Dal-Secular president H.D. Deve Gowda and thanked him for the support of his party.
The JD-S has three Lok Sabha members from Karnataka and 26 members in the state assembly.
- JD-S to vote for Pranab Mukherjee - Jun 21, 2012
- Endless BJP bickering pushes parties into poll mode (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Vokkaligas protest Gowda's removal in Karnataka - Jul 09, 2012
- Around 60 percent voting in Karnataka assembly bypoll - Sep 26, 2011
- Yeddyurappa tries for Gowda's unanimous election to council - Dec 11, 2011
- BJP, new Karnataka CM Shettar face tense days (News Analysis) - Jul 17, 2012
- Bitter caste battles grip Congress and BJP (Karnataka Newsletter) - Jun 22, 2012
- BJP to fight once-favourite Reddy brothers in Bellary - Nov 11, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Karnataka assembly by-poll - Sep 24, 2011
- Deve Gowda family has amassed Rs.1,500 crore assets: BJP (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Kumaraswamy plans fast over illegal wealth charges - Jun 30, 2011
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- I'm not a saint: Mulayam makes clear his PM ambition - Sep 13, 2012
- Congress, JD-S to continue fight against Yeddyurappa - May 23, 2011
- Kumaraswamy begins indefinite fast - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: congress office, dearth, deve gowda, former prime minister, jd, july 1, karnataka, lok sabha members, partisan politics, party leaders, political parties, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential poll, progressive alliance, rousing welcome, state assembly, state congress, trinamool congress, trouble shooter