Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in KolkataJune 22nd, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 22 (IANS) Union Finance Minister and United Progressive Alliance presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee arrived in the city Friday night to a tumultuous welcome by Congress workers.
Mukherjee, who flew into the city airport at 8.40 p.m., was received by about 2,500-3,000 Congress workers with bouquets and garlands.
In a cheerful mood, Mukherjee took the flowers from the activists and waved back to them before heading for his residence in south Kolkata’s Dhakuria.
He is scheduled to leave for his village Mirati in Birbhum district Saturday where he would attend a puja ceremony in his ancestral home. He will also seek blessings from elder sister Annapurna Banerjee, who lives in Parota village neighbouring Mirati.
Mukherjee is likely to hold a meeting with Congress workers on his return to Kolkata.
He is slated to visit Belur Math, global headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission Sunday morning before returning to Delhi.
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- President Mukherjee to visit Bengal next week - Sep 08, 2012
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab visits Belur Math - Jun 24, 2012
- Prayers, festivity in Pranab's village - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab's Mirati rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
- Pranab's village in Bengal celebrates his candidature - Jun 15, 2012
- Bengal celebrates Pranab's candidature (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Happiest day of my life: Pranab's elder sister - Jul 25, 2012
- We will celebrate on July 25: Pranab's daughter - Jul 22, 2012
- Big Bengal presence at Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: ancestral home, annapurna, banerjee, belur math, birbhum district, bouquets, cheerful mood, congress workers, elder sister, garlands, global headquarters, kolkata, pranab mukherjee, presidential nominee, progressive alliance, puja ceremony, ramakrishna math, ramakrishna mission, tumultuous welcome, union finance minister