Pranab Mukherjee is India’s next president (Lead)July 22nd, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Pranab Mukherjee will be India’s 13th president, officials announced Sunday, as the former finance minister comfortably crossed the halfway mark with 558,000 votes to secure his journey to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
His rival, former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, was way behind with 239,966 votes as counting continued, Mukherjee’s polling agent Pravin H. Parikh told IANS. “He has crossed the halfway mark. He is the president-elect,” Parikh said.
Though the result was clear, votes would continue to be counted till all the ballot boxes were opened.
Mukherjee, 76, who was most recently finance minister, is one of India’s most experienced politicians. He was widely considered the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s most trusted and able strategists.
His candidature was backed not just by members of the UPA but also the Janata Dal-United and the Shiv Sena, which broke ranks with the opposition NDA. Besides, the CPI-M, the Rashtriya Janata Dal and the Samajwadi Party were among those who supported him.
“I congratulate Pranab Mukherjee for this historic win. He will garner more than 70 percent of the votes. I also thank people who supported him,” union minister V. Narayanasamy said.
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma gets fewer votes in Meghalaya; none in Nagaland, Kerala - Jul 22, 2012
- 'President's post for Pranab reward for hard work' - Jul 22, 2012
- India has got a very able president: Somnath - Jul 22, 2012
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- It felt like a general election: Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
- Parties begin as Pranab set for victory (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Pranab will win, claims UPA - Jul 17, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- I will get more votes this time: Pranab - Jul 20, 2012
- Cross-voting in Karnataka setback to Sangma - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 13th president, ballot boxes, candidature, CPI, finance minister, janata, Lok Sabha, nda, New Delhi, opposition, parikh, politicians, pranab mukherjee, president elect, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, shiv sena, strategists, union minister, UPA