Pranab meets Bal Thackeray, thanks him for supportJuly 14th, 2012 - 1:16 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 13 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee late Friday called on Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray at his residence and thanked him for his party’s support to his candidature in the July 19 poll.
Mukherjee was accompanied by Agriculture Minister and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar, who is also a good friend of Thackeray.
Speaking briefly to media persons after the meeting, Thackeray said that it is in the best interest of the country that they elect the “right president”.
Aasked about Mukherjee’s competitor, opposition-backed candidate Purno Sangma, Thackeray said: “I have known Sangma since a long time. He is an old friend of mine. But friendship is to be kept aside in matters of national interest.”
Thackeray said that Mukherjee’s visit was purely to express his gratitude and that they did not discuss politics at length.
Thackeray’s son and party executive president Uddhav Thackeraye was also present during the meeting. Mukherjee had earlier phoned Sena chief to thank him for the Shiv Sena’s support.
Mukherjee and Thackeray also shared some light moments as the latter shared his book of cartoons with him where both were seen smiling about a particularly interesting cartoon.
The UPA candidate also met leaders of all state political parties supporting him.
The Shiv Sena had announced its support to Mukherjee’s candidature in the “national interest”, a decision that upset its state alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party, which is backing Sangma.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Pranab Mukherjee to meet Thackeray - Jul 13, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- I will win: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sangma thanks Jayalalithaa for support, winds up campaign - Jul 18, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- No comment on Guru clemency: President-elect Pranab (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Race for Raisina Hill on, Pranab, Sangma file nominations (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- I will be India's next president: Purno Sangma (Interview) - Jul 02, 2012
- Shiv Sena pitches in for Pranab Mukherjee for president (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Thackeray supports Pranab for presidency - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, alliance partner, asian news, bal thackeray, best interest, candidature, executive president, media persons, national interest, nationalist congress party, ncp, old friend, party executive, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, shiv sena chief, state alliance, vd