Pranab is a friend of Communists: TrinamoolJuly 8th, 2012 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 8 (IANS) A Trinamool Congress leader Sunday said that UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee has been a close friend of the Communists throughout his life.
“He (Mukherjee) owes a lot to CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) and Left Front. When he started his political career in Bengal Congress in the 1960s, then also he received lot of help from the Marxists,” Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said.
“And now, when he is leaving party politics, he is again getting the help of the Communists. He has been a very close friend of CPI-M all through his life,” he added.
The Trinamool, the second largest constituent of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), is yet to take a stand on the presidential election after its preferred candidate, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
But Banerjee has so far opposed Mukherjee’s bid for the top post. She is said to have told her aides that she would decide her stand two or three days before the July 19 vote.
Mukhherjee is pitted against former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, who has the support of the Bharatiya Janata Party and some National Democratic Alliance onstituents besides the AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal.
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress-Trinamool rift decided our stand: Karat - Jun 25, 2012
- Pranab writes to Mamata for support - Jul 15, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab will win, says Chidambaram; Sibal meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, communists, congress leader, CPI, kolkata, Lok Sabha, marxists, national democratic alliance, party politics, political career, pranab mukherjee, preferred candidate, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, subrata mukherjee, trinamool congress