Pranab in Hyderabad to seek supportJuly 1st, 2012 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 1 (IANS) Presidential candidate of United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Pranab Mukherjee arrived here Sunday on a day-long visit to galvanize support for his candidature.
Protest by a small group of pro-Telangana supporters greeted Mukherjee outside the Begumpet airport. Raising slogans of ‘Jai Telangana’, the protesters tried to stop his convoy but police foiled their attempt.
The protesters belonging to various pro-Telangana groups wanted Mukherjee to spell out his stand on the demand for statehood to Telangana.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana and party leaders welcomed the presidential candidate.
Mukherjee drove to Jubliee Hall to address a Congress Legislature Party (CLP) meeting. Accompanied by central minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and Vayalar Ravi, he reached here by a special aircraft from Chennai.
After addressing the Congress MPs and state legislators, Mukherjee will meet leaders of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) at a hotel.
The Congress leadership reportedly tried to reach out to the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) to seek their support but it was not clear if leaders of the two parties would meet Mukherjee.
It was also not clear if Mukherjee would call on Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief N. Chandrababu Naidu to seek his party’s support.
TDP, TRS and YSRCP have not yet announced their stand on the presidential polls.
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Congress MP forecasts Jagan party's sweep - Jun 12, 2012
- Telangana celebrates liberation day amid tension, arrests - Sep 17, 2011
- Jagan begins Telangana visit amid sporadic protests - Jan 10, 2012
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- UPA seeks more time for decision on Telangana (Lead) - Oct 01, 2011
- Congress talks trigger fresh debate on Telangana (Andhra Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- Congress seeks Hyderabad mayor's post - Nov 25, 2011
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Deadlock continues in Andhra assembly (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Three legislators quit Congress, join TRS - Oct 30, 2011
- TRS wins Banswada by-poll in Andhra - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: chandrababu, chief minister, clp, congress leadership, congress legislature party, congress mps, congress party, ghulam nabi azad, hyderabad, kiran kumar, party leaders, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential polls, progressive alliance, satyanarayana, state congress, state legislators, statehood, ysr