Pranab asks MPs to discuss Anna’s three key demandsAugust 27th, 2011 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Saturday reiterated the government’s commitment to bring an “appropriate” legislation to eradicate corruption in the country. He asked MPs to discuss three key demands on the Lokpal bill raised by Anna Hazare.
He asked the MPs to discuss whether:
- The jurisdiction of the proposed Lokpal should cover all employees of the central government. This is Hazare’s key issue asking the government to include lower bureaucracy, which interacts with the common man and often harasses it, within the ambit of an independent and strong anti-graft watchdog
- Lokpal will operate through the institution of the Lokayukta in all states. This is Hazare’s second demand.
- Lokpal should have the power to punish all those who violate the “grievance redressal mechanism” to be put in place.
Hazare in his communications with the government had demanded that parliament pass a resolution agreeing in principle to set up Lokayuktas in states, frame Citizen’s Charters for all government departments and include lower bureaucracy in the ambit of Lokpal.
Mukherjee said the “specific issues” raised by Hazare were important.
“They deserve our serious consideration. In case a consensus emerges at the end of the discussion, the Standing Committee will, in the course of their deliberations, take into account their practicability, implementability and constititutionality,” he said, adding that whatever the house decides should be “consistent with the principles enshrined within our constitutional framework”.
- Some Jan Lokpal bill provisions are impractical: Pranab - Aug 26, 2011
- Amid opposition, Lokpal bill tabled with minority quota (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Triumphant Anna to end fast after parliament debate - Aug 28, 2011
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- Nation at crossroads, discuss Lokpal issue dispassionately: Pranab (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal debate in parliament Saturday; Anna firm on key demands (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2011
- Ways to bypass parliamentary procedures: Prashant Bhushan - Aug 26, 2011
- Dikhsit supports Anna's three key demands - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal bill with PM in but CBI out approved, Hazare furious (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Team Anna urges people to protest 'weak' Lokpal bill - Dec 09, 2011
- Lokpal bill may come up in parliament in November - Aug 28, 2011
- Implement Anna's demands, but under constitution: Yechury - Aug 27, 2011
- PM sends flowers, get well message to Anna - Aug 30, 2011
- Lokpal bill: Key differences between government, civil society - Aug 04, 2011
- Anna not to end fast till issues resolved: Bedi - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: ambit, anna hazare, bureaucracy, central government, common man, consensus, constitutional framework, corruption, deliberations, finance minister, government departments, grievance, jurisdiction, lokayukta, New Delhi, parliament, practicability, pranab mukherjee, standing committee, watchdog