Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead)June 22nd, 2012 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 22 (IANS) Union Finance Minister and United Progressive Alliance presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, who arrived here Friday night to a tumultuous welcome, appealed to parties who are yet to announce their decision to support him in the elections.
Mukherjee is pitted against Purno Sangma, who has the backing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and some other National Democratic Alliance (NDA) constituents, as also the AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal.
“I urge those parties who are yet to announce their decision to support me,” Mukherjee said outside his residence in South Kolkata’s Dhakuria.
The Trinamool Congress, led by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, is yet to announce its stand on the presidential choice after its preferred candidate, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
Mukherjee thanked parties like the Janata Dal-United, Bahujan Samaj Party and Samajwadi Party for supporting him.
“Several parties including JD-U, SP and BSP have assured of their support to my candidature. I thank them for their support,” he said.
Mukherjee, who flew into the city airport at 8.40 p.m., was received by about 2,500-3,000 Congress workers with bouquets and garlands.
In a cheerful mood, Mukherjee took the flowers from the activists and waved back to them before heading for his residence.
He is Saturday morning scheduled to leave for his village Mirati in Birbhum district where he would attend a puja ceremony in his ancestral home. He will also seek blessings from elder sister Annapurna Banerjee, who lives in Parota village neighbouring Mirati.
Mukherjee is likely to hold a meeting with Congress workers on his return to Kolkata.
He is slated to visit Belur Math, global headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission Sunday morning before returning to Delhi.
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- Will talk to Mamata if necessary, says Pranab - Jun 24, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign June 26 (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Sangma fails to get Mamata's support (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab's village in Bengal celebrates his candidature - Jun 15, 2012
- Bengal celebrates Pranab's candidature (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab named for president, trips Mamata with wide support (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, aiadmk, bahujan samaj party, belur math, bharatiya janata party, cheerful mood, congress workers, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, pranab mukherjee, preferred candidate, presidential choice, progressive alliance, puja ceremony, ramakrishna math, ramakrishna mission, trinamool congress, tumultuous welcome, union finance minister, west bengal