Postal votes valid if received till counting: Poll panelFebruary 29th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 29 (IANS) The Election Commission Wednesday clarified that postal ballots received till counting of votes commences will be taken into account.
“It is clarified that as per the provisions of Rules 51 and 54 A of the Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961, read with sub-rules (1) and (2) of Rule 27 of Conduct of Election Rules, 1961, postal ballot papers received by the Returning Officers up to the time fixed for commencement of counting shall be taken into account for counting,” said a statement from the poll panel.
The statement came in response to media reports that polled postal ballots received after the date of election will not to be counted.
Stating that there is no prohibition in law that the postal ballots cannot be recorded or received after the date and time fixed for taking poll at polling stations, the panel said: “No application for issue of postal ballot paper can be entertained after the preparation of marked copy of electoral roll for use in polling stations.”
Counting of votes for elections to the legislative assemblies of Manipur, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Goa will be held on March 6.
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Mulayam's vote for Pranab doesn't count: EC - Jul 20, 2012
- Five states to go to polls January-March (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Counting in five poll-bound states on March 6 - Jan 09, 2012
- Courts can't decide poll dates: Supreme Court (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Voting begins in Uttarakhand - Jan 30, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh first phase poll shifted to March 3, counting March 6 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Poll panel warns against canvassing for postal votes - Apr 23, 2011
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Poll panel stops Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll, urges cancellation (Intro Roundup) - Mar 31, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Hundreds of thousands vote in UP (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Counting for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll stopped as Rs.2.15 crore seized (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi says polls in Goa within couple of months - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: ballot paper, ballot papers, ballots, commencement, election commission, election rules, elections, electoral roll, feb 29, goa, legislative assemblies, New Delhi, poll, polling stations, prohibition, provisions, returning officers, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand