Post ‘Satyamev Jayate’ Aamir to meet GehlotMay 7th, 2012 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 7 (IANS) Bollywood actor Aamir Khan is likely to meet Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Wednesday in connection with female foeticide cases highlighted by his TV reality show “Satyamev Jayate”.
Khan in his programme “Satyamev Jayate” aired Sunday had highlighted the story of a sting operation done seven years back by two journalists to expose increasing female foeticide cases in four states - Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
Following the expose, the Rajasthan government had come down heavily on doctors who were involved in sex determination tests and abortions and started a probe against them. However, the doctors since then have either been promoted or have been cleared of the charges.
Aamir said in his show that he would appeal to the Rajasthan chief minister to get the cases against the doctors clubbed together and tried in a fast track court and appealed to viewers to support his signature campaign.
“Aamir has expressed his desire to meet the chief minister on May 9. The chief minister’s office is looking at the CM’s schedule on that day. Chances are high that he (Gehlot) would meet him,” said a senior official in the chief minister’s office.
Rajasthan has been in the news for increasing cases of female foeticide and female infanticide.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan has 883 girls between the age of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
Alarmed over the state’s skewed sex ratio, the state government recently announced steps to curb pre-natal sex determination tests at ultrasound clinics.
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Infant girl left at ashram doorstep - May 09, 2012
- Aamir meets Gehlot, discusses female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir's support for girl child - May 11, 2012
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Gehlot, Aamir meet to discuss female foeticide (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Aamir asks Nitish Kumar to popularise generic medicines - Aug 03, 2012
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, abortions, ashok, chief minister, child sex, fast track, female infanticide, four states, gujarat, jaipur, rajasthan government, reality show, sex determination, sex ratio, signature campaign, state government, sting operation, tv reality, ultrasound, uttar pradesh