Post-poll discussion depends on numbers: PranabMay 7th, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Jangipur (West Bengal), May 7 (IANS) External Affairs Minister and Congress heavyweight Pranab Mukherjee Thursday said nature of post-poll discussions for government formation will depend on the numbers.
“Number is important. Various discussions can take place once we know the numbers after Lok Sabha election results are out,” Mukherjee told reporters here.
He was replying to a query about Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury’s reported observation that his party would try for a non-Congress and non-BJP government till May 16 - the day of counting of Lok Sabah election votes.
“I have stated umpteen number of times. Of course, we will wait for the numbers. But the Congress and its allies are fighting the elections to get adequate number of seats to form a government,” Mukherjee said.
Mukherjee exuded confidence that the Congress would do very well in the polls, but refused to hazard a guess on the number of seats the party will get. “I don’t indulge in political astrology.”
On Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s statement that he had no plans to leave the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), Mukherjee said: “It’s a leader’s right to place his views on record. It is not my duty to react on every comment made by the leaders”.
Asked to react to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s comment that he wanted alliance partner Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee as a minister if the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) came to power, he said: “Who will be made a minister that is the prerogative of the prime minister.”
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Left rebuffs Rahul, says no support to Congress (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Ready for mid-term polls, will get more allies: Gadkari - Dec 01, 2011
- We won't join UPA, but help it pass budget: SP - Mar 24, 2012
- BJP, Haryana Janhit Congress enter poll alliance - Sep 10, 2011
- I have no personal ambition to be PM: Jayalalitha - Apr 14, 2009
- Congress set for hat trick in Manipur (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set for hat-trick in Manipur (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Collapse of civic poll ties with Trinamool won't impact centre' - May 11, 2010
- BJP rules out backing Mukherjee in presidential polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Pranab attacks Trinamool for failure of seat-sharing talks (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- PM scotches mid-term poll talk, says UPA has the numbers (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Congress seems ahead in presidential sweepstakes, BJP stuck - May 03, 2012
- Left rejects Congress option - May 05, 2009
Tags: adequate number, bjp government, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, election votes, external affairs minister, government formation, lok sabha election, lok sabha election results, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, politburo member, political astrology, post poll, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, west bengal