Post Aila, Buddha demands Rs.10 bn central aidMay 29th, 2009 - 1:24 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 28 (IANS) The West Bengal government has demanded that the centre declare the havoc caused by Cyclone Aila in the state as a national calamity and has sought an assistance of Rs.10 billion for carrying out restoration work.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said his government would incur expenses of over Rs.15 billon in executing the repair work in areas ravaged by the cyclone.
“In view of the extraordinary and severe nature of the cyclone, it is our view that it be declared a national calamity,” the letter said.
Urging the prime minister to provide “at least” Rs.10 billion from the Natural Calamity Contingency Fund of the centre, Bhattacharjee said: “With this fund, along with the Calamity Relief Fund available at the state-level, we can appropriately tackle the situation.”
Bhattacharjee said as per a preliminary assessment, 5.1 million people have suffered in several districts. The death count has crossed 100, he added.
- West Bengal seeks fund for Sundarbans - Feb 18, 2011
- Left Front wants cyclone Aila to be declared a national calamity - Jun 09, 2009
- Central team surveys cyclone-hit Sundarbans - Jun 09, 2009
- Buddhadeb demands more funds for cyclone relief - Jun 20, 2009
- Aila must be declared national disaster: Left Front - Jun 09, 2009
- Declare a calamity severe in three days, says panel - Aug 14, 2012
- Central team starts for cyclone ravaged areas - Jun 06, 2009
- West Bengal Finance Minister to meet Pranab Mukherjee today - Jun 02, 2009
- Sunderbans out of wonders race - a lost opportunity? - Nov 23, 2011
- West Bengal government admits shortcomings in Aila relief - Jun 07, 2009
- Government to build 200 houses for Cyclone Aila victims (Lead) - Oct 22, 2009
- Bhattacharjee rides autorickshaw to cyclone-hit Sundarbans (Lead) - Jun 14, 2009
- GJM demands relief for cyclone-hit Darjeeling - Jun 03, 2009
- Bihar Drought: Nitish Kumar seeks financial aid from Manmohan Singh - Aug 07, 2010
- Andhra to seek Rs.1,357 crore for cyclone relief - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: 1 million, aila, bhattacharjee, billon, bn, buddha, chief minister, contingency fund, cyclone, death count, havoc, manmohan, manmohan singh, national calamity, natural calamity, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, restoration work, west bengal government