Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl childMay 11th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 11 (IANS) The Rajasthan government Friday announced it will frame a ‘girl policy’ to check increasing number of female foeticide and infanticide cases.
The decision is seen as another impact of Bollywood actor Aamir Khan’s debut TV show “Satyamev Jayate” and came two days after the star met Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot.
The decision to come up with the ‘girl policy’ was made at a meeting here Friday.
The meeting was presided over by Gehlot. Several NGOs, social activists and government officials discussed steps to prevent female foeticide and infanticide.
“The chief minister decided to form a specific policy to protect the girl child,” said a senior officer.
He said: “The policy will have several provisions. These will be drafted in consultation with NGOs and social activists.”
Gehlot had Wednesday assured Aamir Khan, whose episode on female foeticide has created a storm, that he will take up the issue of setting up a fast track court with the state chief justice.
In his show, Aamir Khan highlighted the story of a sting operation done seven years back by two Jaipur journalists to expose increasing female foeticide cases in Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
The sting by Meena Sharma and Shripal Shakhawat had covered 140 doctors involved in sex determination tests and abortions. None of the doctors has been penalized.
Aamir Khan said in his show that he would appeal to the Rajasthan chief minister to get the cases against the erring doctors clubbed together and try them in a fast track court.
Sources said Rajasthan Chief Justice Arun Mishra had agreed to form a fast track court.
According to Census 2011, Rajasthan now has 883 girls between the ages of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Gehlot, Aamir meet to discuss female foeticide (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Aamir meets Gehlot, discusses female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir's support for girl child - May 11, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Infant girl left at ashram doorstep - May 09, 2012
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' grows more popular than Aamir! - May 14, 2012
- In 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir deals with female foeticide - and how! - May 06, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Aamir asks Nitish Kumar to popularise generic medicines - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, abortions, ashok, chief minister, child sex, court sources, fast track, female foeticide, girl child, gujarat, infanticide cases, meena sharma, rajasthan government, sex determination, sex ratio, shripal, social activists, state chief justice, sting operation, uttar pradesh