Poonam Mahajan meets Raj Thackeray, denies rift with BJPMarch 27th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 27 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) youth wing leader Poonam Mahajan-Rao, daughter of late Pramod Mahajan, Friday met Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, then said there was “nothing political” about the meeting.
After the meeting, Poonam denied rumours that she was quitting the BJP and joining the MNS.
“I continue to remain in the BJP,” she said.
Mahajan was hopeful of securing the BJP ticket from Mumbai North-East constituency in the ensuring Lok Sabha polls but the nomination was given to Kirit Somaiya.
BJP also toyed with the idea of fielding Poonam from the Mumbai South seat to counter young Congress MP Milind Deora but the constituency was conceded to the Shiv Sena under the seat sharing agreement between the two parties, effectively stalling her chances of a party nomination.
Her uncle and senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde had expressed his displeasure after she was denied a party nomination for the elections.
MNS vice president V. Saraswat described Poonam’s visit as a “courtesy call” on the occasion of Gudi Padwa.
Saraswat said that Raj Thackeray and the Mahajan-Munde family have enjoyed very close relations for nearly two decades.
“Poonam’s uncle Prakash Mahajan is the MNS general secretary so the family is not new to MNS,” he said.
“Moreover, there are still two weeks to decide party candidates for the Lok Sabha elections,” he added enigmatically.
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Tie up with MNS only after Shiv Seva's nod: BJP - Mar 04, 2011
- Manohar Joshi, Poonam Mahajan face protests from dissidents - Sep 20, 2009
- Gadkari supports Munde on tri-partite alliance - Feb 24, 2011
- Shiv Sena snubs Munde over remarks on MNS - Feb 07, 2011
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- BJP keen on MNS as part of alliance in Maharashtra - Mar 01, 2011
- Maharashtra 'netas' play politics over Little Master - Apr 27, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Advani's yatra comes to Mumbai Nov 4 - Oct 31, 2011
- Shiv Sena chief rejects proposal for alliance with MNS - Feb 15, 2011
- MNS offers unconditional support to Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI in Thane - Mar 06, 2012
- Now, Raj Thackeray also snubs Gopinath Munde - Feb 16, 2011
- Munde failed to clinch good offer from Congress: Raj Thackeray - Jun 23, 2011
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: bjp leader, close relations, courtesy call, displeasure, east constituency, general secretary, gudi padwa, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, milind deora, mns, mp, mumbai, party candidates, party nomination, prakash, pramod mahajan, raj thackeray, shiv sena, wing leader