Polls to new Gorkhaland civic body July 29June 25th, 2012 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 25 (IANS) Elections to the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), the proposed new development body in the hills of northern West Bengal, will be held July 29, the state government announced Monday.
A notification issued by Home and Hill Affairs Secretary Basudeb Banerjee said the nominations could be filed till July 9.
The scruitiny of nominations would be held July 10, with July 12 being the last date for withdrawal of candidature. The vote count in all the 685 polling stations would be held on Aug 2, said the notification.
The three picturesque Darjeeling hill subdivisions of Darjeeling, Kurseyong and Kalimpong have been on the boil for nearly three decades due to anti-government protests over the Gorkhaland demand. The hills had witnessed killings, police crackdowns and long shutdowns which severely impacted the hills’ economic mainstays - tea, timber and tourism.
On July 18 last year, a tripartite agreement was signed between the GJM and the state and central governments for setting up a new autonomous, elected GTA, a hill council armed with more powers than its predecessor — the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC) formed in the late 1980s.
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- 122 candidates file nominations for GTA polls - Jul 10, 2012
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- GJM to boycott Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 18, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- GJM threatens to renew Gorkhaland demand - Feb 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- GJM sweeps maiden GTA polls, not to give up Gorkhaland demand - Aug 02, 2012
- GJM wins absolute majority in GTA polls - Jul 13, 2012
- Mamata gets rousing welcome in Darjeeling Hills - Oct 10, 2011
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: aug 2, banerjee, boil, central governments, civic body, gjm, kalimpong, killings, kolkata, last date, polling stations, predecessor, protests, shutdowns, state government, territorial administration, three decades, tripartite agreement, vote count, west bengal