Polls bring Shekhar Suman home, and his mother is thrilledApril 8th, 2009 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 8 (IANS) He left 26 years ago and got so busy pursuing a career in showbiz that he scarcely looked back. But Shekhar Suman is coming home for a long stretch to campaign as the Congress candidate from Patna Sahib and his mother can’t stop smiling.
“I am very happy that my son Shekhar Suman will be able to spend some time with me thanks to his decision to contest elections,” said a beaming Usha Prasad, looking forward to having Suman in the city he was born in.
Her son, who has made a name for himself as an actor and a TV talk show host, has hardly spent any time with her since leaving for the bright lights of Mumbai 26 years ago.
“It is good news for me that my son will be here for a long time; I will cook for him and talk with him after years,” Prasad, who lives with her husband Dr Phanibhusan Prasad in Patna’s Lohanipur locality, told IANS.
It will be a busy time but the mother is prepared. “I am arranging everything for him.”
Patna Sahib is gearing up for a high profile contest with Suman fielded against Bollywood veteran Shatrughan Sinha who is contesting as a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate.
Suman’s mother is, however, unperturbed and hopeful that he will get the support of the people.
“The contest is going to be an interesting one,” she said, adding that everything was possible in politics.
“If a son can contest against his father in election, husband against wife, brother against brother then why not two Bollywood actors.”
She recalled that Suman, 49, didn’t show much interest in politics while growing up.
“I think he decided to jump into politics as he was inspired to contribute positively after his popular TV show ‘Pol Khol’ on Star TV that was a big hit.”
Suman, who has acted and hosted dozens of TV shows including “Dekh Bhai Dekh” and “Movers and Shakers” as well as dabbled in films like “Utsav”, arrives here April 9 to formally join the Congress and will kick off his campaign.
Both Suman and Sinha belong to the Kayasth upper caste, who control over 500,000 votes in the constituency. With caste playing a crucial role in Bihar politics, the Kayasth factor might be pivotal
- Narendra Modi is the bad guy of politics: Shekhar Suman - Apr 13, 2009
- Never in Politics again: Shekhar Suman - Mar 02, 2012
- Never in politics again, says Shekhar Suman (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Shekhar Suman resigns from Congress - Feb 18, 2012
- Shekhar Suman files nomination from Patna Sahib - Apr 17, 2009
- Shatrughan Sinha proves to be the real 'Bihari babu' - May 16, 2009
- Shekhar Suman excited for directorial debut 'Heartless' - Mar 03, 2012
- Anna out, Govinda in on 'Movers & Shakers' first episode - Mar 09, 2012
- Ranbir is a good kid, says Sonu Niigaam - Mar 21, 2012
- Shekhar Suman to be back with 'Movers & Shakers' - Feb 23, 2012
- Anna Hazare biggest 'Mover & Shaker' of today: Shekhar Suman - Mar 01, 2012
- Polling peaceful but slow in Bihar (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Polls begins on peaceful note in Bihar - May 07, 2009
- Congress fields Shekhar Suman against Shatrughan Sinha - Apr 06, 2009
- Bappi, Shekhar's 'Ooh la la' moment - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bollywood actors, brother against brother, congress candidate, contest elections, dekh bhai dekh, interest in politics, khol, long stretch, movers and shakers, popular tv show, sahib, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, shekhar suman, star tv, talk show host, tv talk show, tv talk show host, utsav